Monday Night Football- Chargers vs Broncos Preview
After some fantastic games yesterday, Week 6 concludes tonight with an exciting AFC West clash between the San Diego Chargers and the Denver Broncos.
The game will be live on ESPN in America and on the BBC Red Button in Ireland.
So without further ado, here is a full preview of Week 6 Monday Night Football.
San Diego Chargers at Denver Broncos
Stadium– Sports Authority Field at Mile High
Kick Off- 6:30 p.m. in San Diego/1:30 a.m. in Ireland
What to Watch
Broncos Offensive Line vs Chargers Linebackers
- The Broncos offensive line has done a great job of protecting quarterback Peyton Manning after allowing ten sacks through five games. This group is a big reason why the Broncos aerial attack has impressed in the early stages of the new season.
- Things haven’t been as impressive for the Chargers linebackers. Shaun Phillips is the only player with more than one sack and they will be hoping to put plenty of pressure on Peyton tonight.
Broncos Wide Receivers vs Chargers Cornerbacks
- Demaryius Thomas and the rest of the Broncos receivers are all seeing increases in their production thanks to the benefit of having Peyton Manning at quarterback. Currently fifth in the NFL in passing yards per game, these wideouts should be major contributors to their offense.
- On the other side of the ball are the Chargers cornerbacks featuring veteran starters Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason. Jammer and Cason have steadied their play this year and will look stay solid again tonight.
Chargers Running Game
- The good news for Chargers fans is that staring running back Ryan Mathews participated fully in practice this week. The bad news is that Mathews is still having difficulty carrying the ball this season and is yet to have a game with more than fifteen carries.
- Mathews is one of the best backs in the league when healthy but health has been the issue for him throughout his short career. He should share carries again with backup Jackie Battle in the backfield.
Who to Watch
Von Miller- Linebacker- Broncos
- Von Miller is quickly turning into one of the best defensive players in football. After a rookie season season in which he had 11.5 sacks, he currenty has five sacks though five games in this campaign and will definitely be looking to add to that total tonight.
- With Miller coming off the edge, the Chargers will look to left tackle Jared Gaither to protect quarterback Philip Rivers. In this battle, the edge definitely goes to Von Miller and the Broncos.
Ryan Mathews- Running Back- Chargers
- As I mentioned earlier, there is no doubting Ryan Mathews has exceptional ability as a running back and he is definitely one of the most promising players at the position right now. The problem with Mathews is his inability to stay healthy and also his ongoing consistency issues.
- He is no stranger to the sidelines or fumbles and that must change if he is to turn his potential into production. The Chargers offense will be counting on Mathews to perform tonight in the run game.
Matt Prater- Kicker- Broncos
- How can a kicker be a key player to watch out for? When your name is Matt Prater and you are one of the best field goal kickers in the game than you will always be a key player.
- He is currently seven for seven so far this season on field goal attempts. Add to that 100% record his ability to make a kick from anyway over 50 yards and Prater could end up having a major influence on the outcome of tonight’s game.
This game should be a high scoring battle as two of the best quarterbacks in the game go head-to-head.
In a crucial divisional game in front of a prime time audience on Monday Night Football, I have a feeling this will be a shootout.
Chargers 33 Broncos 30
So that’s your preview and prediction, hope everyone enjoys the game.